Monday, November 13, 2006

I am not lazy.

*It is really hard for me to say that I have an "illness", even though that is what it is. I never thought of it that way before... it was just a "condition", but really, my body is sick. I have thyroid DISEASE, and it isn't something that is just getting better with a pill, I am sick. I am also not just lazy, I physically do not have the energy to do what I need to do.The other day I read something in the book "Adrenal Fatigue" that really hit home for me. It is talking about people with adrenal fatigue (which I am suspecting I might also have) but it also pertains to hypothyroidism, because severe fatigue is a symptom of both.
"These people may appear to friends and family to be lazy and unmotivated, or to have lost their ambition, when in reality quite the opposite is true; they are forced to drive themselves much harder than people with healthy adrenal function merely to accomplish life's everyday tasks."That is huge for me, because for the last 8 years, I have called myself lazy. "I am so lazy, if I just got up off my ass and did stuff". Really though, I also often think "how does she get all that done? If I did half that stuff I would be so worn out I couldn't move". I still think of myself as lazy, but am trying to change the way I think.
Seriously. I feel like I worked hard and got a lot done today, and it is probably less than the average person gets done each day. (Washed 5 loads of clothes, folded and put away, went through my "winter and summer" clothes, organized my closet, and picked up DD's room, and ran to the store quick for a couple things.) The only reason I got that stuff done is because I felt a lot better today than I have for a while.

1 comment:

Penny said...

Sounds like you got a lot done to me! I hate doing laundry and with 5 in our family, it is a constant battle. Going through the seasonal clothes is a huge task, as is organizing the hand-me-downs. Luckily my 3 kids are boys so I can save the clothes, but it's a challenge.